Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Fear of Pit Bulls

I've had very little interaction with Pit Bulls in my life. I, too, was afraid of them. Most of what I heard was that they were unpredictable, vicious, attack dogs. When I decided to volunteer at the shelter I was unsure of my ability to get over my fear, enter a kennel with such an intimidating looking dog, especially in a cage, and attempt to leash him, but I was determined to educate myself and get over that fear. To my surprise I "unleashed" my fear in one day. Over the last few months I have interacted with as many as 100 pit bulls, every one of them friendly, loving and easy to photograph due to their submissive stance when in your presence. There is no doubt in my mind that one day I will either foster a Pit Bull or own one. It is true, however, everyone must be responsible with such a powerful dog and take all precautions necessary to keep everyone safe. However, we must all understand that this is true with all breeds of dogs, including, small dogs with children, large dogs with strength and dogs that may have been taught aggression by a human being. These breeds may also include popular dogs such as German Shepards, Dobermans, Rottweilers, and yes even small Shih Tzus and Poodles. Use common sense. Realize as well, that many stories we hear about are the negative ones, not the positive ones, of which there are MANY!

Adopt! Please do not breed!
Thank you.
LAWS ANIMAL RESCUE
PAST IT ON!

0 comments:

Post a Comment