Sunday, November 15, 2009

Debbie


Debbie lived in the shelter for 12 days. She was very matted and emaciated when she arrived. Another problem was that Debbie was 11 years old and heartworm positive. No one wants an old, sick dog. Rescue stepped in and frantically tried to find a home to save her life since her time was up at the shelter. Thankfully, a very kind woman with a heart of gold adopted Debbie. All rescue people involved were so happy for her. A week later the woman wrote to all who cared about Debbie:

"It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I tell you all that Debbie died. She had quite a case of heartworm and the vet said that even the monthly medication might cause her to have a heart attack and die suddenly. So we chose not to medicate her. Now I don't know if that was the right decision. She slept on a rug next to my bed and I awoke early this morning to a noise. It was Debbie trying to catch her breath. I woke my daughter because I could tell she was going to die before I could get her to the vet. Debbie died with both of us rubbing her head and telling her we love her. We hoped to give Debbie a few years of pampered living, but that was not to be. All we gave her was a few days. My comfort is in the fact that she died, not alone in a shelter, but with two people who loved her."

Adopt from your local animal shelter or rescue.
PASS IT ON!

0 comments:

Post a Comment